Our counseling services may be included into a client’s substance abuse treatment program or utilized independently of drug/alcohol treatment. Fees are calculated on a sliding scale, based on ability to pay. Call us for an assessment and to find out how your treatment may be funded.
Specialized Outpatient Groups
We offer morning, afternoon, evening and weekend outpatient groups to help our clients maintain long-term recovery, improve interpersonal relationships and develop new skills for living. Some groups meet requirements for offenders referred by Long Beach probation and the local courts. Each group is led by a trained facilitator. Individuals may participate in outpatient services for up to one year.
Specialized outpatient groups include:
- Parenting Education (52 weeks) – Program meets requirements for court-ordered participants
- Relapse Prevention -Aims to prevent drug/alcohol relapse by recognizing early warning signs and risky situations.
- Commitment to Change – Learn effective ways in which to handle change with ease.
- Framework for Recovery – Avoiding self-defeating thoughts and behaviors.
- Self-Esteem – Defeating inner critic and feeling better about self.
- Self-Improvement and Change – Identifying ways to improve one’s self and make the changes necessary to live a more fulfilled life free of drugs and alcohol.
- Life Skills – Learn to implement the skills necessary for full participation in everyday life.
- Building Healthy Boundaries – Setting and maintaining personal boundaries.
Safe Refuge is certified by the County of Los Angeles to provide drug and alcohol education and/or counseling services for offenders referred by Long Beach Probation and the local courts.
Court-referred programs include:
- PC 1210 (formerly Proposition 36/Offender Treatment Program – Substance abuse treatment in lieu of incarceration for first- and second-time nonviolent, simple drug possession offenders. The comprehensive process includes assessment, treatment, probation supervision and regular progress reviews by the court.
- Child Abuse Prevention (PC273.1) (52 weeks) – Parenting Education (52 weeks): Program meets requirements for court-ordered participants.
- Domestic Violence (52 weeks) – The batterers’ program – meeting Los Angeles County Probation Department guidelines – is designed to stop domestic violence by holding the batterer responsible for violence in a relationship. The victims’ group empowers individuals to break free of the abusive cycle.
- Deferred Entry of Judgment (PC1000) (20 weeks) – First-time drug offenders can have their original charge dismissed by successfully completing the program and staying out of trouble.
- Anger Management – Clients can be ordered for any amount of time, some are 52 weeks, some are 26 weeks and some are 12 weeks. Teaches people to identify problem anger and gain skills to overcome the problem. Meets requirements for court-ordered participants.
Private, Individual Counseling
The following private counseling services are available by appointment daily:
- Individual, family and significant other counseling
- Drug/alcohol counseling
- Domestic violence counseling
- HIV/AIDS counseling